Thursday, September 5, 2013

Craft Storage 103

I have recently started actively art journaling. By this, I mean that I have started actively collecting materials to use in my art journal. You can use so many cast off items as valuable art journaling materials. There are the scrapbooking materials that are used. There's jessop and paint, and don't forget the "found" items. I like to take apart old jewelry and often incorporate beads from my jewelry making supplies as well. Art journaling is a mixed media activity. It is very easy to accumulate materials faster than you can use them.

 I have a very simple system of organizing my art journaling supplies. The paint and adhesives fit right in with the system I have in place for craft items in general. My past past craft organization blogs are here and here, in order. However, there are some extra supplies that go with art journaling, such as collage components, recycled packaging, and found items. Here are some simple solutions that I have used.

Children's school folders make great "catch-all's" for paper components such as magazine clippings and fit on any bookshelf. They are available anywhere school supplies are sold and shouldn't be more than $1 each.

I found this dish drainer at Goodwill for fifty cents. I later realized that it was cracked and leaked water, but it works very well to hold all of my recycled packaging. Plus, it was only fifty cents. Thrifty!

Small plastic baskets are my go to option for storing "found items". I have plastic bags to hold the smaller items and make it easier to search. The tin holds small metal pieces and old jewelry that I will use. These baskets fit easily onto shelves or slide under tables to keep them out of sight. I purchased this one and a few others from a Dollar Tree store and they were only $1 each.

Organized in this fashion, my art journaling supplies take up very little space and blend in well with the rest of my craft supplies. I am lucky enough to have a home office/ crafting room all to myself. If you don't have this option, may I recommend a sturdy set of plastic (or wooden if you would like to spend a little extra) drawers. 
Models with smaller drawers at the top allow you to separate paper components that need to be handled with more care. Larger drawers at the bottom work well for oversized items and are easily separated with smaller baskets. These are available at stores like Walmart and they often offer the option to build your own.

I hope that you have enjoyed these tips on organizing your art journaling supplies, whether you are an old pro or just starting out like me. If you have ideas, or try any of these methods, I would love to hear from you. Feel free to share any pictures or stories. Good luck and happy organizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment