Tuesday, July 30, 2013

All the Small Things

Do you often find yourself fighting to disentangle your necklaces? Are your bracelets tossed together in a manner that denotes a recent explosion? Belts in a pile? Scarves draped in odd places? Having trouble locating your favorite shade of nail polish? If you answered "YES", or even a less resounding, "yes", to any or all of the above questions, then, welcome to my guide to getting all of the smaller, yet still very important things in your life organized.

If you need to start from the beginning and get your clutter cleared, you can read my first post on here. The next few will walk you through getting the rest of your home organized room by room with tip and tricks that have worked into a lasting system for yours truly. I am not what you would call an organizing guru, but I know what solutions work to keep real people organized in real life with organizing systems that are easy to implement and even easier to maintain. In short, they really are solutions.

One of my favorite quotes is by William Morris. "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful".  I try to keep this in mind when I'm deciding if an item is clutter or not.

 With that said, you will want to start this project, as we have all the others, small. Take one category at a time. Here, I am going to start with nail lacquer. As I have said previously, Michelle Phan (http://michellephan.com/) advises pulling nail polish in the fridge. If you are anything like me, then that isn't a practical idea. I'm not saying that she is wrong, just that it doesn't work for me. However, I do agree with her logic. Nail lacquer needs to be stored in a cool, dry, and dark place to preserve the product and extend its life as long as possible. Don't keep it in the bathroom (see my previous post for what not to keep in the bathroom). I find that displaying these creates a small pop of color to a room. I have created a display stand for all of my nail color. I used dishes from the Dollartree (dollartree.com) and some old vases that I already had. You can find them at Goodwill or another second hand store for very little.

I don't keep it beside this window, it was just a better place to take the photo.



It was very inexpensive to make. I had most of what I needed on hand, but if I had purchased the items, the price would not have exceeded $10. If you would like to make your own, you can check out Anneorshine (http://www.lifeannstyle.com).  I first saw her tutorial on youtube.com and thought "what a great idea". I took me about 3 weeks of rolling it around in the back of my mind to finally decide to make it.  Below is her tutorial. While you are there, check out her channel. Like and subscribe for some great ideas that are a lot of fun.





Moving on to necklaces. I have tons. I make jewelry and it tends to add up. A lot of the pieces that I make end up in the "keep" section for a time. I like what I make, so I often wear it. It's a great conversation starter that often leads to a future customer. I don't think that any conventional jewelry box would accommodate all of the necklaces I have. I love having things displayed in a way that is both beautiful and practical. Hanging a curtain rod on the wall as a display tool occurred to me recently, so I implemented it, first for my scarves and then another for my necklaces. It works great for bracelets too. You can also install these inside or closets to utilize all of your available space.


A few of my necklaces



My scarves


If you don't have a curtain rod, or a space to hang one, consider a clothes hanger that has the wooden dowel to hang pants with it. The one I have pictured below is the kind with a metal frame that allows for one end ot the dowel to be removed so that you can slide things onto it. I found a set of ten of these at Goodwill for $3.


Hangs neatly in with your other clothes


I'm sure there are other great ideas floating out there just waiting to be grabbed and used. When I find new things that I work, I will share them with you. If you have tried anything I've posted here, or you have an idea that you would like to share, feel free to do so. I would love to hear from you. The links to my facebook and twitter are on my profile page. I hope you enjoyed this. Have a great day and happy organizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment