Wednesday, June 5, 2013

How to Take Control of Clutter

Lately, as it often does at this time of year, the "spring cleaning" bug has bitten me. It occurs to me, that like many other Americans, I have too many possessions. This is the root of the problem. Having too many items leads to being disorganized and feeling like your stuff has control over you. I would like to share with you some of the tips that I used to get started on the path to being better organized.
 I start by downsizing what I have by eliminating what I:
  • do not use
  • do not need
  • do not want
These are my top three reasons for something being put on the first train to somewhere else. You may give these items to friends, have a yard/garage sale, or donate them to a charity of your choice. Start slow and appraise the items one at a time. That way, when the item has been deemed ready to leave your home, you won't want to take it back. I like to start with one room at a time and one type of item at a time, this makes it easier to get through the process of discarding the above mentioned item.

The best place for me to start is in my bedroom, and my clothes. I know that it sounds like a bad Clue rip off, but I assure you, it isn't murder. Start with the room that you feel comfortable with or the room that gives you the most trouble. With clothes and accessories, you should get rid of anything that is too big, too small, torn beyond repair, or that simply doesn't fit your life anymore. Enlist a good friend if you are having trouble parting with clothes. I like to take my band t-shirts that fall under these categories and cut the graphic part of the tee out and trash the rest. I'm saving them until I have enough to make a quilt top. This could work for kid's clothes too. Next to accessories. Too many shoes? Toss what has holes, hurts to wear, or simply just is not functional. You get the idea. Move on to belts, scarves, jewelry, etc.  I would only do one room a day unless you are one of those lucky people that don't have to purge your home at one go. If there isn't a lot to go through in one room, pair it with another that is the same amount of work. Don't try to get it all done in one day. 

 I am personally terrible for bringing in things over the course of winter that I will be getting rid of around this time. New craft projects and supplies are my number one thing to look for in the cold months, but with warmer weather, crafting may not be so high on my list, so it's time to go through what I have accumulated.  It is also a good time to go through all of those well-meant presents that you received during the holidays that fit into one or more category above. Take stock of what craft supplies that you have. If there is anything that you do not foresee yourself using for anything, it may need to go the way of the Dodo. You can always donate it. Also, if you are anything like me, you have finished craft projects laying around, you may want to find new homes for those as well. Many make great gifts.

In the kitchen, a big problem for most of us is plastic containers that have been separated from their lids. If you aren't using the container, toss it. Plastic breaks down after a while, and odds are, that lid isn't coming home. Any canned food that you do not see your family eating can be donated to food banks, or given to a neighbor in need. Throw away any spoiled or outdated food. Also, never keep old cleaning supply containers if you don't know what is in them. 

Next, consider entertainment media. Will you watch that dvd again? Will you reread that book? Do you need cd's? The answer is often no. You can save music to your hard drive and put it on any mp3 player or iPod. Your dvd collection is likely full of movies that you will never want to watch again in the near future. There is always Netflix or sites like it. Video games are another item that easily fall into this category. You can trade in recent games to many game stores to receive credit towards new games that you will play. Some offer cash but it's less than the credit you would have gotten. many also take dvd's and mp3 players. You can take cd's to second-hand stores for a few extra bucks. Books can be sold to used bookstores or donated if you are feeling charitable. All items can probably be sold on eBay, but that takes time. You need to get this stuff out of the way so that you can start organizing the things that you want to keep and so that you don't pick up these items and bring them back into the fold. If you are in a rush to get it out and you aren't  worried about money, many Goodwill stores accept on-site donations, and they give you a form to add to your taxes for a charitable donation write-off.

Then, I move on to evaluating what I have left after putting my house on a diet. Are the items that I have left relevant to me? If the answer is yes, then I start organizing. If the answer is no, then re-evaluate what you still have.
 Ask yourself these questions?

  • Am I only keeping it because it was a gift?
  • Does it give me joy?
  • Is it a practical item that could be used (reasonably)?
  • Is it difficult to care for?
  • Are you keeping a bunch of nick-nacks for sentimental reasons?
  • How much does it really mean?
If it gives you joy to look at it, such as a small bobble that you and someone important to you acquired on a special trip, keep it, but only if it is not in your way. If it's obstructing travel through your home, such as uncle Ray's card table (but you don't play cards) you may want to reconsider. I will start with sentimental items, because these are a big part of this last group for many people. All items cannot be sentimental. You must part with items sometimes that are just taking up space. Never keep anything only because someone gifted it to you. Hanging onto something because you will feel guilty for letting it go is only hurting you. Odds are, the gifter is going to ask you where the item is the next time they visit. Keeping some sentimental things, such as great-grandma's antique ring, is understandable.

Free or empty space in your home is okay to have. It may be waiting for the perfect piece. Letting go of items that are not helping you in some way is okay too. Having too much stuff in too little space is not. The popular t.v. show "Hoarders" is a nightmare for me. I want to go through my things again one extra time just thinking about those people. It inspires me to do better with organizing and only keeping what I use, want, and/or need. You will feel better when you have gotten rid of things that you didn't use, didn't want, or didn't need. Your home will feel cleaner and less cluttered instantly when the items are gone.

Join me next time for my advice on organizing the things survived the cut. 

No comments:

Post a Comment